Tuesday, March 18, 2014

In the shop: The greenhouse trailer: roof and door

I managed to get the roof structure on in between rain showers. The observant
will notice that I turned the door header around 180 degrees. This was to adjust
the end rafter spacing back to the 24 inches it's supposed to be. I lifted the ridge
beam a couple inches above the rafter ends in order to gain just a little more head-
room and to add a little detail to the peak.

Here I've got the roof-blocking installed between the rafters and the walls wrapped with
4' high fencing held in place with strapping.
The strapping dresses things up nicely and will give me a place to hang plastic
panels if I want to close it in completely during the winter. I also added blocking
around the gable end openings to simplify installing plastic panels there too.
Obviously I've also got the doors built and hung.

The door framing is all half-lapped which should provide plenty of
rigidity. Each door is just under 24" wide and I'm hoping will not need
any diagonal bracing to stay square. The right-hand door latches with a
standard gate latch
And the left-hand door is held in place with a spring
loaded foot-bolt. The hole for the foot-bolt is drilled
all the way through the decking so debris won't collect
in it.


Now I just need to go through my stack of left over sheets of corrugated
polycarbonate to see how much more I need to buy to close in the roof. After
that I'll add gutters to divert the rainwater into a tank we already have.
Since all the remaining work will be done from the outside I think I'll move the
greenhouse (Right now I can't open the doors all the way because they run into the side
of the parking pad.) and start loading it with some of the plants we've already got going.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment